Thursday, January 7, 2010

"It's all make believe, isn't it?"



Many might dismiss Marilyn Monroe as nothing but a dumb blonde but I’ve got to say, I’d rather engage in an interesting, dinner conversation with her than hear a bunch of pseudo-intellectuals yap about the most boring shit imaginable. The girl has something multidimensional about her that most major stars have. One does not get that big just by being blonde and having large breasts (though it may have helped just a bit, with some positive and negative results, I’m sure). Some of the things she has said showed some insight and has made me laugh, smile, and yes, even tear up a little.

Below is a list of my favorite quotes from her. The list was meant to be short, but I ended up adding more instead. See, told ya she had a lot to say. Now, stop staring at her undeniable beauty and actually listen to what she’s saying. You might just learn something. It’s a new year after all.

"I am not interested in money. I just want to be wonderful."

"No one ever told me I was pretty when I was a little girl. All little girls should be told they are pretty, even if they aren't."

"I don't know who invented high heels, but all women owe him a lot."

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it."

"It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on."

"Sex is part of nature. I go along with nature."

"It's woman's spirit and mood a man has to stimulate in order to make sex interesting. The real lover is the man who can thrill you by touching your head or smiling into your eyes or just staring into space."

"Wouldn't it be nice to be like men, just getting notches in your belt, having affairs with the most attractive men . . . and not getting emotionally involved."

"Hollywood is a place where they'll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss and fifty cents for your soul."

"It stirs up envy, fame does. People...feel fame gives them some kind of privilege to walk up to you and say anything to you--and it won't hurt your feelings--like it's happening to your clothing."

"Fame is fickle and I know it. It has its compensations, but it also has its drawbacks and I've experienced them both."

"I've often stood silent at a party for hours listening to my movie idols turn into dull and little people."

"With fame, you know, you can read about yourself, somebody else's ideas about you, but what's important is how you feel about yourself--for survival and living day to day with what comes up."

"I restore myself when I'm alone. A career is born in public, talent in privacy."

"I'm for the individual as opposed to the corporation. The way it is the individual is the underdog, and with all the things a corporation has going for them the individual comes out banged on her head. The artist is nothing. It's really tragic."

"I want to grow old without facelifts. I want to have the courage to be loyal to the face I have made."

"I've never dropped anyone I believed in."

"It's often just enough to be with someone. I don't need to touch them. Not even talk. A feeling passes between you both. You're not alone."

"It's better to be unhappy alone than unhappy with someone - so far."

"I'm trying to find myself as a person, sometimes that's not easy to do. Millions of people live their entire lives without finding themselves. But it is something I must do. The best way for me to find myself as a person is to prove to myself that I am an actress."

"I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go. Things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right. You believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together."

"Remember now, cheers, no tears..."


No comments:

Post a Comment