Monday, September 19, 2011

coffee and cigarettes

Anyone into indie films should check out Jim Jarmusch’s Coffee and Cigarettes. While it's not the most exciting film out there (plot lovers, beware), it does offer some interesting moments in how it captures the different ways people try (or fail) to communicate and connect with each other while having a cup of joe or a smoke. One does not need to love coffee or cigarettes to enjoy this movie, but having the ability to digest black-and-white pictures might be important. I'm only mentioning this because there are people out there that can't sit through a black and white movie, a disorder that I will never fully understand.

Since I haven't had any coffee today and I actually want to sleep early for once, I'll finish the rest of this entry with a few sleepy thoughts.

Somewhere in California:



Word math:
BLACK ≠ WHITE
Cigarettes = WHITE
Coffee = BLACK

Last cup of coffee: yesterday, at home
Last cigarette: 2008, San Francisco

Split at birth:
Tom Waits & Hell Boy
Iggy Pop & Anthony Kiedis

Great songs mentioning coffee:
Carly Simon - You're So Vain
Beastie Boys - Intergalactic
Frank Sinatra - The Coffee Song

Great songs mentioning cigarettes:
The Wreckers - Cigarettes
Rufus Wainwright - Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk
Emerson Hart - Cigarettes and Gasoline


Now, if only I could find where I stashed my old DVD copy...

No comments:

Post a Comment